On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 09:06:33 -0700 (PDT)
Paul deGrandis <paul.degran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the point is missed with this example.
>
> Given your hello world example, how much effort does it take you to
> add URL args, make it operate like a RESTful resource, change the
> route that triggers it, add user sessions, address security concerns,
> template out responses, tweak those templates without touching the
> code, etc.

I think you've missed the point of the example. Not everything
requires arguments, restful resources, session tracking, etc. If I
need those things, I have no problem using a framework that gives them
to me. The thing is, if I don't need them, I don't *want* to have to
deal things that provide them.

Simple things should be simple.

Say I'm having a problem with the cpu in a web server overheating. I
want to install a simple hack so I can check the temperature on my
phone's browser when I'm home (or connected in through the vpn).

The shell script/CGI to do this is pretty much identical to the hello
world example:

#!/bin/sh
echo 'Content-type: text/plain\n'
sysctl dev.cpu.0.temperature

If I didn't have a server installed, it'd be a little bit more
complicated, but not a lot.

The problem is so simple I don't need to "build up" to it, but the
Java world still seems to insist I have that ability - and the
complexity that goes with it.

Which means that simple things aren't so simple.

      <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html