On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 11:52:30 -0400
Wilson MacGyver <wmacgy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How are you going to handle session? How are you going to handle
> database from a echo script?

What, you've never generated HTML directly from an SQL script? Any
good SQL system will do that for you.

All of these things are *possible* using CGI and a shell script. That
doesn't mean it's desirable - I don't use the shell much for anything
that requires more than two loops myself. The point is that these
things aren't *required* for all applications, and I shouldn't have to
deal with complexity they incur if I don't need them.

Simple things should be simple. It seems to me as if once you drag
java into the equation, nothing is simple. I'm trying to figure out if
that's correct or not.

> I mean, I can counter by just create a hello.html in apache
> and put "hello world" in there. It's 1 line, 0 to deploy. And it's FAST.
> It's even cached and uses no cpu time being served.

Yup. And you can use SSI to do other simple things as well. I never
used SSI - I pretty much detested what it did to web servers - but it
was very popular, because it made *simple things simple*.

> that doesn't really mean that using web dev only using html
> is simple or is desirable.

Actually, it simple *if you're doing simple things*. Yeah, the Java
tools may rock if you're doing complicated, enterprise-style
applications. Having to deal with that level of complexity to turn off
my garage light before I go to bed sucks.

> Having done web dev using cgi long ago, I don't think I want to go back
> to that.

I'm not asking you to. I'm asking if there's anything that's that
simple that can be used for simple tasks if your application runs on
the JVM.

    <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html