no this discussion is going to be ... won't say it.

Quiz:

- is your solution functional (regarding the requirements=
- is your solution scallable? (groing large or running
plattformindependent?)
- is your solution easily maintainable (in the sense of mutating it
some days to get complex and have 100000 LOC)
- is it very easily testable

Sure you stated out "for simple things". now have java installed,
or .net (i'm actually a .net guy). I could complain about this
solution not running on windows .. I do not. You have the choice, you
make the move.

Why should clojure fit into your micro world of doing administrativ
scripting? Being a dev for 13 years I really don't like system that
don't fullfill my questions. I was a maintainer of a system containing
of 8.000.000 LOCs (were I was responsible for round about 300.000) I
can tell you tons of horrible stories.

Now how is this realted to your question? The right tools for the
right job.
I won't use any more tools, that don't fullfill my 4 questions. Why,
you could ask? because of the experience going the hard way over and
over again. Because some businesspeople told me to not use technologie
x. Because they don't trust my expertise. In your unix consulting
world this maybe the right choice.

So the simplest possible hast nothing todo with the right choice, from
my point of view.
Its not only a matter of having the power at your fingertipps (in only
using 2 lines of code).

There are even dynamic vs. static language wars. There's no winner,
there's no looser. It depends.
Be open minded and use the right tool for the right job an don't
complain about technologie x or y.

Have you ever used .NET or Mono? Yes, No, Why? Im not biased to *nix
(actually i'm running a win7 dev machin, because my job requires it)