On Sep 9, 5:06 pm, alux <alu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> But, @Luc
> "pushing the advantage of Lisp
> macros to the forefront is not obvious if the audience cannot compare
> with another (good/simple) implementation they understand well."
>
> Thats why I want to use a nifty metaphor ;-)

Even your dumbest Java developer knows that javac (or ant, or maven,
or Eclipse, or *something*) converts their source to JVM byte code.
Finding a familiar example is not hard.

Compilers might not be a perfect example perhaps because maybe people
think of compilers as big, complicated, high magic. But, clearly, they
don't have to be. Any rewriting system should be a suitable analogy.

As I said before, the macro concept should be as plain as the nose on
your face. As other people have said, the cool part is that lisp
macros are written in lisp and integrate with the compiler/interpreter
in a cool way. That can only be internalized (grokked) by writing your
own macros and reading good examples.

How do you force someone to do that? You make it part of some other
goal they are trying to achieve. Right? Why did you study semi-
conductor physics? Because you had to before they'd let you do
transistors, before they'd let you do logic gates, before they'd let
you do microprocessors, before they'd let you do assembly, before
they'd let you do C, before they'd let you do algorithms, before
they'd let you do AI. Which is all you ever *really* wanted to do in
the first place!

Adam