2010/9/27 Tassilo Horn <tass...@member.fsf.org>

> Hi,
>
> did you already try out paredit [1]?  That mode is absolutely fabulous
> for programming any lisp and provides much more than just closing
> parens.

My bet is that it's exactly paredit's behavior the OP is complaining about.

We had the same discussions in counterclockwise, when I introduced paredit
behavior.

The problem is not that paredits commands aren't useful. They are !

The problem is that certain people don't want any paredit command bound to
"regular keystrokes". They want paredit out of their way when they are
typing. They just want paredit commands accessible through command
shortcuts.
Think vim-like processing : when in "typing" mode, you cannot invoke any
command available. You must enter the command mode before entering commands.

We found *a* solution for Counterclockwise :

The "Structural edition" (aka paredit's) commands are always available in
the editor via keyboard shortcuts,
but there are two modes:

  * the "default mode" : (default as in "configured by default in a fresh
ccw installation") *no* command is bound to regular keystrokes. a "("
inserts a "(" (and not its balanced ")"). a "]" inserts a "]" (and does not
jump to the end of the closing enclosing form). Period.
  * the "strict mode" : (strict as in "does its best to always confine/guide
the user into strict structural edition") . In this mode, you guessed it,
you get the usual paredit commands bound to keystroke, plus some extras : do
a valid selection of form or sibling forms: hit some opening "paren" ( [ {
and it automatically wraps the selected form(s) with the appropriate kind of
brackets. etc.

In ccw, even in strict mode, you can go away from the strict mode for the
following keystroke: just hit escape and the next keystroke will bypass
strict mode's command binding.
Finally, you can jump back and forth default/strict mode via the "Alt+D"
keyboard shortcut.

Sorry if in the end of my answer I somehow hijacked the thread, but I
thought this may be of interest to some.

--
Laurent