On Oct 3, 2010, at 7:16 PM, Lee Spector wrote:

> I've just done a couple of runs verifying that this happens when using the
> exact same code in 1.1 and 1.2. (Previously the code I was running under the
> different versions varied slightly, but now I'm using exactly the same code.)

If anyone feels like trying it themselves -- that would be wonderful -- the
code is at http://hampshire.edu/lspector/gptp10/autopush-gptp10-code.zip

Open the regression.clj file in success-12, scroll to the bottom, decrease the
:population-size parameter near the bottom the file from 100000 to 1000 (just
so it goes through generations faster), and then run that file (which will load
clojush.clj). Under 1.2 this generally hangs within a couple dozen generations
for me... sometimes a little longer. (In case this could matter I'm running
under Mac OS X in Eclipse/Counterclockwise, with the most recent versions of
everything.) Under 1.1 it runs through at least several hundred generations
without error or hanging until I stop it. (It's unlikely with these parameters
but it's possible it would stop earlier because it found a solution -- then it
would say "Success!".)

If anyone does this please note that I do know that the code in that file is
TERRIBLE, AWFUL, unidiomatic clojure code. I was still new(er) to clojure when
I wrote it. My more recent versions are improved in several ways -- some of
that is at http://github.com/lspector/Clojush -- but since I wanted code that
ran in 1.1 I'm using this old version to track down this problem.

 -Lee

School of Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
lspec...@hampshire.edu, http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438

Check out Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines:
http://www.springer.com/10710 - http://gpemjournal.blogspot.com/