On Oct 5, 10:16 am, Sean Corfield <seancorfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Sean Corfield <seancorfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > but when I try lein swank I get exceptions:
>
> > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unable
> > to resolve classname: ARef, compiling:(inspector.clj:184)
> > (I'm on lein 1.4.0-SNAPSHOT as well as Clojure 1.3.0-master-SNAPSHOT /
> > contrib 1.3.0-SNAPSHOT so I guess it could just be compatibility?)
>
> Confirmed. I switched to swank-clojure 1.3.0-SNAPSHOT and it worked.
>
> So lein swank just starts a server and sits there?
>
> (! 559)-> lein swank
> user=> Connection opened on local port  4005
> #<ServerSocket ServerSocket[addr=localhost/127.0.0.1,port=0,localport=4005]>
>
> I was a bit surprised not to get a prompt back, and not to be able to
> interact with it directly... So I guess I need to...? Install Emacs
> and the SLIME package?
>
> (I haven't used Emacs for over 20 years!)

Yeah, swank is for use with emacs (or other tools?).  Swank+SLIME
+Emacs is great for writing Clojure, and I would highly recommend it
over a bare REPL, but I'm sure there are lots of other options if
sidestepping this bug is your only desire.   You can launch a bare
REPL not through lein, and manage your classpath yourself.  You can
try cake, which might avoid this issue.  Or, I think there is REPL
integration with vim, intellij, textmate, etc. you can try as well.

-Jason