Hi,

On 13 Okt., 07:59, Saul Hazledine <shaz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As I understand it, its fine to put jars from other projects on
> Clojars. If you do this, it is recommended to use your own groupid or
> org.clojars.<your-userid> as the groupid. That way people know that
> the jar files aren't from the originating team. If the originating
> team ever puts their package on the central maven repository the
> clojars package won't be picked up by mistake by people who want the
> official package.

I find this to be greatly abused by the people. Sometimes you have to
scroll through several pages of search results only to find the
original project jar by accident. There is no documentation whatsoever
what is changed in the different variants. Sometimes they are even
uploaded under non-org.clojars groups giving even a little official
touch. I had one user having trouble to set up vimclojure who said
that he downloaded random vimclojure jars because he couldn't tell
which is the official one.

All-in-all I think that an easy accessible repository is a big Good
Thing(tm). But the org.clojars groups where a bad idea, IMHO. If a
dependency doesn't have artifacts on clojars, there is always the
possibility of approaching the original project team on the issue. If
you really need jars which are modified in some way (eg. a bugfix
which hasn't made it upstream, yet), they should be put into a local
repo, be it .m2 or something like archiva (BTW: Thanks for this tip,
Luc)

Sincerely
Meikel

PS: all that said, I'm guilty myself of putting stuff in
org.clojars.kotarak...