I don't think it's a mistake or accident that spit exists in
clojure.core.  In 1.2, duck-streams became deprecated and functions
such as spit were incorporated into clojure.core:

http://clojure.github.com/clojure/clojure.core-api.html#clojure.core/spit
http://clojure.github.com/clojure-contrib/duck-streams-api.html

Are you using anything beyond spit and slurp*?  If not, I think you
can switch to clojure.core's slurp and spit and drop duck-streams
altogether.