On 2010-11-06, at 10:22 AM, Peter Schuller wrote:

>>> I increased the heap space a lot, but I'm just bordering on the edge
>>> of my real memory, so it's not helping much.
>>
>> Did you try pushing the minimum heap space up. I'm usually lazy and set them
>> to the same. I've had serious trouble caused by the way the JVM increases
>> the heap space. Setting min to max (and max big) pretty much took care of
>> that issue.
>
> People keep making claims like this in various situations but I don't
> tend to hear details. Exactly what problems are you having that would
> plausibly apply in this situation?
>
> Not that there is no reason to set ms=mx (there are reasons), but the
> need to do so tends to be over-stated in my opinion. But if I'm
> missing something I'd like to know about it :)

I understand your scepticism but, even applaud it, but, in my case, it comes
from actually trying it and measuring the difference (again in my case you
didn't need anything fancy it was huge and highly visible). It happened often
enough on different projects that I just do it routinely now. Anyway, if I
*ever* see something that might be a GC-like problem I first eliminate heap
growth from the picture (and, this is all I was suggesting here). Perhaps a
hold over from earlier versions of the JVM but I don't personally care that
much with my servers -- I have a machine dedicated to the application, it's got
a lot of memory, use it. Might have a different attitude for a desktop app :-)

Cheers,
Bob

> --
> / Peter Schuller