On 12/20/2010 1:42 PM, Tim Robinson wrote:
I think too many posters here are equating Clojure with Lisp.
Clojure is a LISP, but it is not LISP itself.
Since I've worked in a dozen "Lisps" (golden common, VMLisp, Lisp370,
Zetalisp, MacLisp, Lisp 1.5, Orien Lisp, etc.) I don't think I would
equate Clojure with Lisp. The question I was wrestling with was whether
Clojure IS a Lisp, as opposed to a domain-specific language for using
immutable Seq data structures over Java.

* Mutability is not a given in all LISP implementations, only some of
them.
* STM transactions (i.e. state and time management upon non-mutable
objects) is a Clojure concept, that no other LISP's have.

So I will suggest the OP is not having a LISP ah-ha moment, but rather
a Clojure ah-ha moment. Lisp does have it's ah-ha moments in other
regards as I am sure is the case with any other language when you move
from being able use the language for general programming to being able
to use the language abstractions&  ideology to change how you approach
programs. It's not like programmers didn't have this when everyone
moved to OO languages in the first place - they too had an ah-ha I get
OO now.

You may be right that other people have the "ah-hah!" moment for
their particular language or concepts. My comment was that this
event is associated with Lisp and that it is different from "getting
the OO mindset" or "getting rule-based programming", etc. I was
"getting the STM and immutability concepts" but those were not
sufficient to establish (for me) "Lisp". Your enlightenment may vary.

Tim Daly