On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Ken Wesson <kwess...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Eh. That's not what I saw written elsewhere. Or is it just protocols?
>>> Though usually those are used hand-in-hand with records.
>>
>> Perhaps you're thinking of gen-class?
>
> No.
>
>> Protocols are also fine for interactive development.
>
> Someone here definitely said, recently and specifically, that at least
> one of the feature-complex around deftype/defprotocol/defrecord
> required AOT compilation.

Oddly, I'm now having trouble finding it. A simple search turns up this:

> It's because of protocols. Code that uses protocols behaves
> differently when it's AOT-compiled--the reference to the compiled
> version of the protocol is hard-coded into the AOT output.

which makes it seem that IF you AOT-compile code with protocols, you
then get some stuff "frozen" at the AOT-compiled version until you
remove the class files or similar, impeding REPL development (and
potentially causing other problems), but there was some other more
direct reference to use of some related feature making REPL
development difficult and I can't find it.

My search was on "AOT", so perhaps that was alluded to without being
referenced by that name in the thread in question. Can anyone remember
what it was? I'm pretty sure it had activity in the last week or two
-- which makes it all the stranger that it's now difficult to find.