Hey Eric
I did something similar for handling unsigned types. I think it's
simpler and probably faster, not that I've checked. Here's a gist of
it https://gist.github.com/767887

That code is part of a little library I wrote a while ago
https://github.com/geoffsalmon/bytebuffer  It's closer to your bin-ed
in complexity than to gloss. You might also find the pack-bits and
unpack-bits functions useful if you're parsing bit-fields and not
using Gloss's bits-seq.

I'm going to give Gloss a try. For complex binary structures, I think
I like it's way of specifying formats using (keyword, type) pairs and
reading and writing maps instead of bytebuffer's which specifies
formats as strings ('b' for byte, 'i' for int, and so on) and reads
and writes seqs of values.

- Geoff