> Then again, how often do you write code that might be
> doing maths with numbers that big and not realise it?  For that
> matter, how often do you write code that might be doing maths with
> numbers that big and not spend time thinking carefully about its
> performance anyway?

This reminds me of a little joke:

Cooper: Honey, will you please - what are the odds of the Russians
attacking on a Thursday night?
--The Man with One Red Shoe (1985)

Having heard from various posters how reasonable it all is, and from
Rich now necessary [1], I still have a feeling that the implications
and consequences of the new semantics aren't well understood, and if
anything, any points of real concerned are downplayed. I'll second
Mark's concerns, above. Like others, I don't like to annotate and
postquote my way to the semantics I want, but that may be the easy
part. But I hope I'm wrong; I guess we'll see.

[1] (in this thread
http://groups.google.com/group/clojure/browse_thread/thread/c8c850595c91cc11/8a4eee5ac4eab3f9?lnk=gst&q=autopromotion#8a4eee5ac4eab3f9)