Out of curiosity, why did you go with Neo4j rather than using jiraph?
(https://github.com/ninjudd/jiraph)  I used neo4j in the past, and if
I remember right my main annoyance was that edges had to be traversed
based on the type of the edge instance object, which felt annoying
from a language like clojure where I rarely want to think about Java
types in this way, especially since they are all implementing the
Relationship interface.  Instead with Jiraph you can traverse edges by
inspecting arbitrary edge properties.  It's also a native clojure lib
so the API is quite easy to work with.

It would be interesting to see a performance comparison...

Cheers,
Jeff