On 23 Mar, 23:55, ultranewb <pineapple.l...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 24, 1:11 am, Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org> wrote:
>
> > > Long version:  Okay, I'm very new to Clojure.  But I'm not a Java
> > > programmer (don't want to be).
>
> > I don't think you can get very far in Clojure without having to come
> > to grips with the Java infrastructure. It ain't Unix.
>
> Well, for me I guess it will depend on how much "coming to grips" I
> have to do.  If it is much more than clicking on some automation tool
> to generate boilerplate (leinengen?), or typing in "java -jar blah
> blah" at a command prompt, I'm outta here.  I have been offered money
> to program in java in the past.  I turned it down, turning the phrase
> "you couldn't pay me to program in java" into a reality.  It's fair to
> state that I hate java more than any other language.  I'd rather
> program in COBOL than java.

Unless you're doing very strange or advanced things, you aren't
required to write any Java code in order to use Clojure. However, this
doesn't mean you won't have to deal with some JVM tools and libraries
sooner or later. After all, tight integration with the JVM is often
cited as one of Clojure's key points. Some people like it, some don't
- it has both advantages and drawbacks, despite what fanboys on both
sides believe.

I don't use Clojure myself - I just follow this NG because it's full
of nice people and a great source of inspiration, but I'm a user of
another Lisp - so I hope the following is not considered trolling,
but: imho, if the JVM is too much an impediment for you, then Clojure
probably is not the right choice for you. Clojure today is both a Lisp
with strong support for certain kinds of concurrency constructs, AND a
JVM language; it's hard to separate the two aspects (as it is today;
things might change in the future). In other words, the JVM is not
just an implementation detail. Perhaps unfortunately, as far as I
know, no language with the same characteristics as Clojure exists
outside of the JVM (apart from ClojureCLR, but I guess that if one
hates the JVM, he'll hate the CLR too).

Just my .02.
Alessio