> I have been offered money
> to program in java in the past.  I turned it down, turning the phrase
> "you couldn't pay me to program in java" into a reality.  It's fair to
> state that I hate java more than any other language.  I'd rather
> program in COBOL than java.

That's quite alright. Nine out of ten people here hate java; even
people who love java hate java, that's normal. If you have the
interest and motivation to do some cool things with this technology --
work or fun-- hang in there and after a while all that pain becomes
just a chore; that's when you've come to grips with it, as Mike said.
The last time I felt that pain was last year when I learned maven to
write my clojure apps. It was painful but they helped in this board
and now I'm OK with it. But there's no question that to use Clojure
you need a good grasp of java, the language and infrastructure, no way
around that. Once you learn that you might hate it some more.