Is there something obvious I am missing when aset in clojure 1.3-alpha8
won't work for shorts. aset-shorts does work, but way slower than I'd
expect. There is also an order of magnitude difference in speed between aset
^ints and aset-int.

I've looked at the source of amap (which was the first thing to give me
problems with shorts), and from there came to writing the expanded amap
macro out, and using aset-shorts rather than aset to get shorts working. I'm
however stuck at looking at the source of aset and understanding how I can
make that work with shorts.

Related (now that I have the floor anyway), should I still be messing with
java arrays in clojure 1.3, or would a vector of primitives be as fast?