Two words came to mind when I saw Rich give this talk: mindfulness meditation.

I've found that when I try and focus too hard on a problem I get tunnel vision
and ruminate instead of thinking /about/ and /around/ the problem I'm trying to
solve. I really do need to detach and let the problem grow on its own for a
bit. But how? What does that look like? It's different for everyone but a
couple of things I notice:

You'll frequently hear in guided mindfulness practices a line or two about
noticing your body's contact with the floor, cushion, mat, etc. so the laying
down research seems consistent with my personal experience. On that note, I
think hammocks in general naturally lead me to notice that contact, what with
the floating, swinging, etc.

However, it won't really work for me if I lay in a hammock and actively attach
some agenda to the act of laying there. For instance, having the thought: "I'm
laying in a hammock to have a good idea." over and over doesn't work for me. I
doubt most people get in the shower with a serious plan to have a great idea,
it's the kind of thing that just sort of happens when you're in neutral.
Finding neutral activities like walking, laying in the hammock, washing the
dishes, sweeping up for the experience of sweeping up, etc. doesn't seem to be
the hard part. The hard part seems to be getting rid of the agenda or
expectation I have that a particular action will yield a result. I suppose
that's why I practice.

2c,

--
Devin Walters