On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 4:07 AM, James Keats <james.w.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently using Netbeans' clojure IDE and I quite like it.

I'm currently using Eclipse with CCW and I quite like it. Much depends
on what you've been used to. I've worked in an Eclipse environment for
several years and use it for all my day-to-day coding needs (Java,
Scala, Clojure, CFML, HTML, JavaScript, CSS - supported by various
plugins).

> The other option that I've seen being popular is emacs with cake.

I used Emacs many years ago and when I first started getting into
Clojure I tried a few different flavors of Emacs again since it seemed
to be the editor of choice for a lot of Clojure / Lisp people. I found
it clunky - and it seemed (to me) like it really hadn't changed much
in about 20 years (which is both good and bad). So I quickly settled
back into Eclipse.

> What am I missing out on? Thanks.

If you're happy with Netbeans, especially if you're using it for other
languages, I don't think you're missing out on anything.

Switching IDEs is really a much bigger deal than a lot of people seem
to think. You have to really immerse yourself in the new IDE and stick
with it. You have to learn a lot of new stuff. Emacs fans will tell
you it's worth it. Maybe it is. But "good enough" is a perfectly good
reason not to switch.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/