On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 7:07 AM, James Keats <james.w.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I'm currently using Netbeans' clojure IDE and I quite like it. It has
> a REPL. It highlights syntax and matches parentheses. It supports
> maven and mercurial/git. It provides completion and doc for both
> clojure and java. It has allows evaluation of forms from source code
> to repl. It also allows me to customize keyboard shortcuts.
>
> The other option that I've seen being popular is emacs with cake. I've
> seen that cake opens two jvms, one for itself and one for project, ok,
> nevermind that, no big deal, but emacs, i find, is unnecessarily
> arcane compared to a modern java IDE. It's keyboard shortcuts and
> combinations are based on ancient keyboards and terminals and
> historical conventions, and while i can customize that and only use
> what I need, netbeans already has a comfortable, modern setup out of
> the box. I see that some would suggest paredit, but honestly, i don't
> see that, navigating code through keyboard shortcuts, as all that much
> of an advantage considering that using the mouse or the trackpad is
> very convenient.
>
> What am I missing out on?

By not using emacs? IMO, not much. Not even paredit, since it's
available in CCW (the Eclipse Clojure plug-in) if you want it badly
enough. (With emacs-ish keyboard navigation bindings, natch. But you'd
be able to copy, paste, save files, etc. "the normal way" with CCW,
without any time spent rebinding dozens of keys first, and you'd be
able to navigate both the normal way AND the paredit way. Best of both
worlds?)

--
Protege: What is this seething mass of parentheses?!
Master: Your father's Lisp REPL. This is the language of a true