There was a minor bug in the provisioning script that prevented the .emacs.d directory from being populated but a fix has been pushed for that.

That being said, I also had the hang issue. I did the same as you; I did a vagrant ssh from a new terminal window and everything worked. Also, after bringing down the virtual server and bringing it up again, the problem has not recurred. I haven't had the time to figure out why it hung in the first place though.

StanD.