I was using the latest VirtualBox (4.0.10) and it was complaining
about  a version mismatch between Guest Additions Version: 4.0.6 and
VirtualBox Version: 4.0.10. So I switched to VirtualBox Version 4.0.6
instead and the output is below. It no longer complains about the
mismatch. I'm continuing to use PuTTY to ssh.  The 4.0.6 machine
behaves the same way as 4.0.10: it suggests that I try sudo apt-get
install emacs.

emacs-clojure-vagrant>vagrant up
[default] Provisioning enabled with shell...
[default] Importing base box 'natty32'...
[default] Matching MAC address for NAT networking...
[default] Running any VM customizations...
[default] Clearing any previously set forwarded ports...
[default] Forwarding ports...
[default] -- ssh: 22 => 2222 (adapter 1)
[default] Creating shared folders metadata...
[default] Booting VM...
[default] Waiting for VM to boot. This can take a few minutes.
[default] VM booted and ready for use!
[default] Mounting shared folders...
[default] -- v-root: /vagrant
[default] Running provisioner: Vagrant::Provisioners::Shell...
[default] stdin: is not a tty
[default] bash: /tmp/vagrant-shell: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No
such file or directory
The following SSH command responded with a non-zero exit status.
Vagrant assumes that this means the command failed!

chmod +x /tmp/vagrant-shell
/tmp/vagrant-shell

The output of the command prior to failing is outputted below:

[no output]

emacs-clojure-vagrant>