We have a complex messaging app in prod since Jan. 2009.
It's 24x7 and fully redundant. The high level functions are all in Clojure
and we are moving away from Java low level code written in the early days.

I have been writing complex software for 30 years now.
I found a way to decide what tools I want to use in my professional life and I
assume my decisions.
Of course firing myself would be hard (I own a significant chunk of the company)
but I get feedback about my decisions through our customers.
Up to now it's been pretty good, the app stays up and we can add new functions
in it
much more faster than anyone of their suppliers.

You remind of an era where managers would choose to buy IBM products because
"you could not get fired if you choose IBM". It has nothing to do with a sound
solution selection process. It's a lemming behavior that may lead us eventually
to this type of software solution:

http://www.dinosoria.com/archeologie/cuneiforme.jpg

The "industry" need people to create high quality tools like Clojure.
This is a safeguard mechanism to let people know that the "industry"
does not detain the ultimate "Truth" and that better alternatives exists.

--
Luc P.