On 12 Jul 2011, at 23:18, Alan Malloy wrote:

On Jul 12, 12:01 pm, Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hin...@fastmail.net> wrote:
The composability issue with macros lies in writing them, not using them.

Strongly disagree. Macros compose reasonably well when writing them
(eg, using let in the implementation of with-open is trivial); it's

That's not composition, that's use. What I mean by composition is writing a complex macro in terms of simpler macros and macro composers, just as one writes complex functions in terms of simple functions and higher-order functions. There is no equivalent of higher- order functions in the macro universe, for example.

composing already-written macros with other pieces of your codebase
that's hard. (reduce and xs) won't test that every element of xs is
truthy, because and is a macro and thus can't be used as a higher-
order function.

That's exactly the kind of problem I was thinking of. So in fact we agree, except for the label to put on the problem.

Konrad.