On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:29 PM, Larry Travis <tra...@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Thanks, Sergey.  The problem was indeed a classpath problem. The part of my
> ignorance about Java that seems to cause me the most trouble is my ignorance
> about Java classpaths. I think some Clojurians underestimate the
> difficulties involved in learning Clojure without knowing Java first.

I updated the Confluence getting started page to address this last week:

    Clojure is unlike most language in that you don't generally install Clojure
    itself; it's just a library that's loaded into the JVM. You don't
interact with
    it directly, you use a build tool and editor/IDE integration instead.

    * IDEs and Editors
      [...]
   * Build Tools
      [...]

http://dev.clojure.org/display/doc/Getting+Started

Would this have helped if you had found it? Using the jar file
directly is really not very common or convenient which is why it's not
well-documented, but people coming from other languages naturally
assume that the first step is to "install Clojure".

It's unfortunate that the Getting Started page on clojure.org is in
such an embarrassing state of disarray, but according to Clojure Core
they can't spare any resources to fix it at the present time. The
community-editable pages are generally much more helpful, but they
aren't as prominent or easy to find.

-Phil