On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:29 PM, Larry Travis <tra...@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Thanks, Sergey.  The problem was indeed a classpath problem. The part of my
> ignorance about Java that seems to cause me the most trouble is my ignorance
> about Java classpaths. I think some Clojurians underestimate the
> difficulties involved in learning Clojure without knowing Java first.

This issue applies to "all" JVM-based languages but I wouldn't go so
far as to say you need to know _Java_, there's just a little bit of
Java infrastructure knowledge required. It seems like we need some
sort of Java Classpath 101 on the community wiki.

Mind you, as Phil hints in his edit, using the raw Java libraries just
isn't how folks really use Clojure - the problem is that's what
clojure.org/getting_started says right now but we're hoping to see
that changed after the "big news" on July 20th from Rich in NYC. If
clojure.org/getting_started told folks to use Leiningen to get
started, I suspect we'd stop worrying about Java classpaths completely
:)
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/