On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM, abp <abp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Why is it necessary to press TAB at all? Couldn't auto-indent be the
> default for a line and only manually reindented lines opt-out until
> one opts in again using TAB or something?

If I add an expression around existing code, I tend to use TAB if
small regions are used to reindent the affected line(s) that are
suddenly contained within a new expression and as a result should be
reindented as if I had originally typed the entire expression. If for
some reason larger blocks of code are affected, I would likely use the
region/file reindent functionality in Emacs. In other words, I usually
use TAB for lines that were written earlier, to align it better with
new code, not to affect indentation of the line I'm currently typing.

Lars Nilsson