On Jul 25, 2011, at 4:11 AM, Michael Wood wrote:

> On 25 July 2011 09:41, Sean Corfield <seancorfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 11:51 PM, pmbauer <paul.michael.ba...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
> [...]
>>> That's why I would give Clooj some prominence rather than burying it at the
>>> bottom of the decision tree.
>>
>> Well, then put it at the top with the tag line "If you don't have a
>> strong affinity for a specific IDE or editor, why not try Clooj which
>> is a simple, lightweight editor focused on Clojure? Otherwise see the
>> options below for adding Clojure support to your favorite IDE..."
>
> +1

+1 with a little more justification from one perspective:

As a relative newbie (to Clojure and especially the Java ecosystem, but not to
Lisp) and as a teacher (I have been and plan to continue teaching Clojure to
undergrads) I have pretty strong opinions on this.

What I hope for in a "getting started" page/process is something that will
allow people with little/no experience with any existing programming
environment to install and begin to use a Clojure environment that is "not toy"
in the sense that it includes both a reasonable Lisp code editor (minimally:
bracket matching and language-aware auto-reindenting) and a reasonable way to
grow a project to include multiple files and libraries without learning a lot
about classpaths and miscellaneous other Java tools (which probably means
leiningen or cake).

All of the existing full IDEs involve a lot of complexity that is bewildering
to newcomers, either in installation/configuration, in use, in dealing with
libraries/classpaths in the community-normed way, or in some combination of
these.

Until very recently I thought that the way forward on this was to push one or
more of the existing IDEs in more newbie-friendly directions, e.g. by getting
CCW to play more nicely with leiningen, or to provide more newbie-friendly
installation/configuration scripts/instructions for emacs-based environments.
And several people in the community have recently made contributions recently
that helped with these things in significant ways. I thank them all! But from
my perspective there was not yet a really complete, satisfying solution.

Now along comes clooj. This has, to my mind, really leapfrogged over all of the
other approaches in its potential to provide a really smooth entry ramp into
Clojure coding for total novices -- AND (and this conjunction is quite
important for me personally) also for seasoned non-Java-ecosystem programmers
who want to use Clojure for serious work without mastering Java ecosystem
tools. It provides trivial download/installation, a simple but sufficient
editing environment and, I think (although I haven't yet worked with this)
smooth integration with a leiningen-based or cake-based workflow.

Related issues are being discussed on the clooj mailing list
(cl...@googlegroups.com), and I think that with a few more enhancements to the
environment and especially to the getting started instructions (focusing on
integrated clooj+lein/cake workflow, and providing simple instructions for 1:
hello world, 2: including and using a library, and 3: building an application)
this will be a really excellent environment for newcomers.

Assuming that clooj+lein/cake continues to improve as rapidly as it has over
the last week, I too would advocate this being the first item listed on a
Clojure getting started page.

 -Lee