FWIW, I've already done what Brenton describes (jar'ing the compiler
and such) for noir-cljs (https://github.com/ibdknox/noir-cljs) which
adds compilation as middleware. I've also gone the route of jar'ing up
my clojurescript stuff and that has worked really well. It seems to me
that there's no reason not to just keep using lein/cake/etc for this
stuff. It's already a pretty good workflow :)

Cheers,
Chris.