Hmm... If you didn't have to worry about Java <7 compatibility, for one
thing with invokedynamic you could remove a lot of code from Clojure. No
more IFn or AFn. You simply have a method handle.

Second, I think it would allow the JVM to have a better view into
optimization, and would allow the JVM to optimize something speculatively
and allow for Clojure tell the JVM when to deoptimize with a SwitchPoints
and MutableCallSites.

I don't think Phil's comparison is actually a fair one. If you're going to
use type hints or type inference, then you're basically moving more towards
static typing, which of course will be faster.

If you're going to do dynamic dispatch without compile time types to aid the
compiler, then invokedynamic is most certainly going to be faster than
reflection, and make for much simpler code.

I think invokedynamic would be great for Clojure. Of course there are other
concerns like the fact that it is only for Java 7, so maybe it won't be the
best place to put resources at the moment. But that's no reason that Tal
can't work on it.

Paul