Greetings,

I would greatly appreciate any guidance on where to find a working and
complete set of instructions for how to set up Emacs with swank-
clojure. I am in Ubuntu.

I have followed exactly every step of the instructions on this page
http://dev.clojure.org/display/doc/Getting+Started+with+Emacs, and
also (with a fresh install of Emacs) the version using Git in the
comment on that page by Martin Blais. With both methods, when I
execute "M-x clojure-jack-in", the message "Starting swank server"
appears and hangs. Swank never starts, the message never changes, and
I don't see any error messages anywhere (not sure where to look, maybe
I'm missing them?).

I really would like to use Clojure for a significant project, but if I
can't get the dev environment working I'm hosed.

Also, if I can't get Emacs going, would anyone suggest an alternative
development tool? (I know there are lots, but I don't know which to
try first).

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Curran