Which is exactly the problem with Clojure in Emacs. There are N sets
of instructions out there, and N-1 of them are out of date.  And even
the Nth one is incomplete. "Step 1: Install clojure-mode either from
Marmalade or from git."

What if you don't know how to do that? So you click through to the
'Marmelade' site. Step 1: "First install package.el" with a link to
package.el and no other info.

Initially I ran into issues trying to get it set up, and finally I
just decided to run 'lein repl' and just edit in emacs. This is a
little inconvenient though. I finally got it working yesterday, and
then after about five minutes of using it, it just sort of stopped
working. No clue why. Back to 'lein repl' in an attempt to get
something useful done for the afternoon.

Step 1: In case anybody reads this; I think I did this, although this
will no doubt become out of date. ;-)

Download package.el from the marmelate site. Do not download the other
one. Create an .emacs.d directory under your home dir, and save
package.el there.

Then add the following to your .emacs file in your home dir.

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/")
(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-
repo.org/packages/"))