Support of membership testing is pretty much the defining characteristic of
sets, transient or not.

Transient sets already support membership testing in the form of (my-set
item).  If they support the IFn interface for membership testing, it's hard
for me to imagine that it would be much more difficult to support the same
behavior for whatever interface makes contains? work properly.