On 10/02/2011 05:20 PM, Stuart Halloway wrote:

I was referring to the aggregate contrib, not a curated subset (which I agree is a good idea). Maybe we should call the aggregated thing the Libraries Formerly Known as Contrib (LFKAC).

Here's how I envision the distribution structure:

Clojure Core: the language engine itself, at its bare minimum

Clojure Base: a collection of crucial libraries that is released *in tandem* with Clojure Core, meaning that they have the same base version which they are tested against. So, Clojure 1.5 would be released at the same time as Clojure Base 1.5. Critical fixes could then be minor releases, such as Clojure Base 1.5.1. But, it would be obvious that it is tested against Clojure 1.5.X and that is *for* Clojure 1.5.X. The Clojure Base libraries would also exist on their own with their own versions, and can be upgraded or used separately. The Clojure Base versioned distribution establishes a integrally tested baseline: the idea is that if you stick to Clojure Base, you cannot go wrong, and a clear upgrade path would appear in the future if necessary, say, for 1.6.

Clojure Extras: community-maintained libraries outside of Clojure Base, but that are -- for convenience's sake -- listed on Clojure's main web sites and repositories next to the Clojure Base libraries. What marks these libraries as different from just any other library in the larger Clojure ecosystem is that Clojure Extras get approved clojure.* namespaces, such as clojure.java.jdbc. Some of these might be candidates for eventual inclusion in Clojure Base (marked as "incubating") but they do not have to be; Clojure Extras might be their natural home. For inclusion in Clojure Extras, a library would have to prove some kind of essential generic functionality warranting a clojure.* namespace, such as support for a standard or technology or an implementation of a well-known algorithm. So: no frameworks, products, etc. The idea is that users would go to Clojure Extras first to find an API, knowing that it has received some minimal review, before rummaging through the wild, wild Internets.