On Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:30:51 PM UTC-5, stuart....@gmail.com wrote:

> Modularity helps, not hurts, in achieving this.

I can see that now. Thanks to everyone who provided clarifications about the
new contrib organization!

> Contrarily, it seems that effort is being put into cleaning up the core and
> jettisoning anything merely suspected of being superfluous.
>
> That certainly isn't an objective. Can you list some examples of things
> that in your opinion were casually jettisoned?

I didn't use the word "casually." But, to the point, see the discussion
here, re defn-:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/clojure/r_ym-h53f1E/discussion

> Libraries are a different story. Contrib in particular has a mixed record.
> We are changing that now. Help welcomed.

I'll repeat that I'd prefer not to think of it is as "contrib," as if it's
something provided by the community ("help welcomed/wanted"), but as a
standard library very close to the language itself. In my opinion, this
would strengthen Clojure and its acceptance. The language core might be
mature, but any language needs a mature standard library. I can think of a
few non-exciting languages (Java!) that were broadly adopted because the
standard library -- together with the rest of the platform -- was strong,
mature, and proven.