On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Tassilo Horn <tass...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> But is that really an issue?  I mean, since you cannot use such duck
> typing in Java itself (except in terms of reflection), any method
> defined for more than one class with shared, consistent semantics is
> declared in some common parent class or interface which you can use for
> your type hint.

There are cases, in several contrib libraries, where a single function
effectively wraps a set of overloaded Java methods. In order to add
type hints in such situations, the code would have to expand to a
series of conditionals that queried the type at runtime just so
different branches could type hint the overloaded calls correctly (to
remove the warnings). I don't think that's a good idea.

In general tho', I think contrib libraries should be free of
reflection warnings as much as possible (and I've opened issues
against some contrib libraries that had a lot of such warnings - and
they've mostly been fixed).
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."