So school has started, and I'm laden with syllabi, either in print or
online.  I'm a stats student, so all my professors use LaTex
for...well, everything.  So I have all these .pdf files.

I had the idea of parsing them and extracting the homework schedules
and then making a simple Android app that showed what was due
depending on the date.  This is admittedly kind of overengineering the
whole thing, but I just got the phone for Christmas and I've been
itching to write something for it.

In the process of trying to extract the text (I was using Apache's
PDFBox), I ran into a NoClassDefFound error when importing certain
classes.  I checked that all the .jars were in all the right places,
etc, to no avail.

I wasn't so much frustrated by the error (they happen) as with my
inability to do much about it or really poke at it.  According to the
Java docs, NCDF occurs when a class definition that was present at
(Java's) compile time is absent at (Java's) runtime.  I'm not really
sure how that could happen---where could I go for more insight into
how java packages/classes are loaded?  (I actually have the
clojure.core source in front of me as I write this, but can't seem to
find where "defmacro import" becomes...well, whatever java it becomes)

tl, dr: If I never wanted to have a classpath/library loading issue in
Clojure ever again, what should I read?

Thanks,

Daniel