How about a native I/O library that'll detect the platform and architecture at
runtime? Something like java 1.7's nio, but they'll work on clojure hosted on
1.5.x? Make use of JNA to make native calls to get file system details, etc.

Right now you cannot even stat a file from clojure without calling the stat
command from a shell. :/

---
Joseph Smith
j...@uwcreations.com