Greetings.

On 2012 Jan 20, at 01:26, Mark Nutter wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:42 AM, David Brunell <quantal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How long did it take you to get comfortable with paredit?  I keep getting
>> frustrated and going back to manually matching parens.
>
> I had the same experience for a while, but then I realized I just had
> to remember 3 things:

Paredit (I've just looked at the cheat-sheet) looks clever, but from my point
of view a bit too clever for my own good.  So, David, I don't think you're
missing anything much if you stick with the standard movement keys.

Thus C-M-(, C-M-), C-M-f, -b, -u, -d and -k do most of what one wants, in terms
of creating and moving around balanced brackets.

For example, hoisting a sexp, as Mark illustrated, is just C-M-k, C-M-u, C-y,
C-M-k, which takes a lot less time to perform than to describe, and which gives
you some sort of visual feedback while you're doing it.

Crucially, however, these same keys do mostly the same thing in other modes
(though of course they're less useful there), and they don't get in the way.

There are things I can see paredit mode does that I do in a more roundabout
way, but not that often, and it doesn't upset me that I spend a few more
keystrokes on them.

Also, using the standard movement keys means less customisation, which means
I'm less crippled without my own .emacs!

This is not meant as any criticism of paredit mode or its users, of course,.but
one doesn't need _every_ gadget....

Best wishes,

Norman

--