Hi,

On Friday, January 20, 2012 9:40:53 AM UTC+1, Norman Gray wrote:

> Thus C-M-(, C-M-), C-M-f, -b, -u, -d and -k do most of what one wants, in
> terms of creating and moving around balanced brackets.

why did nobody mention C-M-Space, yet?  To me it's one of the most
important keystrokes across all modes in Emacs, that somehow support the
sexp-concept.  One of the keystrokes that I miss in all the other modern
editor components.  In particular, the way it handles being called several
times in a row (more important in non-lisps, though).

Crucially, however, these same keys do mostly the same thing in other modes
> (though of course they're less useful there), and they don't get in the way.

(inc)

That way the functions stored away in your finger-memory don't have to look
into the global state reflecting the current major mode, which is usually
stored in the brain (but may be cached in finger memory if you stay in one
mode long enough). Thus, these functions are purely functional and avoid
the slow read on global memory. :-)

(The one big exception is org-mode which has just too many bindings that
interfere with everything else.  But that's rather off-topic.)

Regards,
Stefan