Actually, one last try before I build vtk and try it myself. The
problem seems to me that vtk is looking for a method that takes no
parameters and return void. "invoke" returns Object, let's use "run"
instead.

So try this:

 (def myCallback
  (fn []
      (let [t (vtkTransform.)]
           (.GetTransform t)
           (-> boxWidget .GetProp3D (.SetUserTransform t)))))

; AddObserver is looking for a no-args method that return void, and
fns with no args
qualify. For fns, "run" should work.
(.AddObserver boxWidget "interactionEvent" myCallback "run")