Unfortunately, I've been unable to get vtk to compile locally.

At this point, it's seeming to me that your issue is more vtk-related
than clojure, though. Can you put a println in the callback to confirm
that it's at least being called?

One question, is it significant that your code is slightly different
from the example here?

(doto coneMapper
      (.SetInputConnection (.GetOutputPort cone)))

Although I'm not sure if it's significant, from reading the example
code, it would be:

 (doto coneMapper
       (.SetInput (.GetOutput cone)))