On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Brandon Bloom <snprbo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The first step would be just to get the compiler to emit an optional
> source map.
>
> That's definitely the first step! After that, there's going to need to be
> some way to serve those source maps via HTTP upon request from the browser.
>
> However, there's a first step to the first step: Getting column data. The
> reader currently seems to only produce a :line key in the metadata map.

Yep. This would require enhancing the Clojure reader. I don't think that's
feasible for 1.4, but probably worth pursuing for 1.5. Even without it, we
can still get line level debugging which is better than nothing and write
the code to use :column data when available.

> Could you please clarify? Do you mean for multi-level mapping?

Yes. Again this is really just bonus points. Priority 1 is just improving
the development experience.

> See the "Multi-level Mapping Notes" section in the v3 spec:
> https://docs.google.com/**document/d/**1U1RGAehQwRypUTovF1KRlpiOFze0b**
> -_2gc6fAH0KY0k/edit?hl=en_US&**pli=1&pli=1<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U1RGAehQwRypUTovF1KRlpiOFze0b-_2gc6fAH0KY0k/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1&pli=1>
>
> It seems like once they agree upon a header (as opposed to the javascript
> comment syntax) this would also be useful for providing pre-macro-expansion
> vs post-macro-expansion source maps.

 We could also decide to handle multi-mapping ourselves - that is write the
code that can produce a merged source map.

David