I haven't been following this discussion that closely so far but I'd
like to comment on this bit:

> One of my frustrations with source control systems is the way you end up
> repeating information, e.g. Modified function X, Refactored function Y. >
> Added defmethod etc… This information is already present in the commit, after
> all its what you DID. The system should be able to work that out > and
> provide that information.

Good commit messages contain more than that. For instance it would
contain the reasoning behind the refactoring of function Y or the
change to function X. That might be clear to you and perhaps some of
your team. New members - and existing ones - might lack that context.

My point is that I don't think the proposed output should replace a
well hand crafted commit message.

Cheers,
Leonardo Borges
www.leonardoborges.com