There are/have been some implementations of the ideas mentioned in the
original post:
1. Smalltalk - I used the Squeak implementation in college and found it
terribly frustrating when the image would crash.
2. IBM VisualAge for Java - I used this about 15 years ago. It still used
files for each class, but there was one view where you could pretend you
were just editing methods.
3. Go - There is a standard Go format and tool to do the formatting, users
can transform it if they'd like.

You would need the ability to capture the edits to the environment in some
serialized form to avoid the crashed image file problem. There could be
several levels of understanding built into a SCM system: character stream,
forms, AST. The system might track all three, promoting its understanding
as code is completed and compiles.

I came to like Go's approach/attitude to formatting. There's one "right"
way, but your way is fine too. As long as you can reformat to a style
you're comfortable with, there's no problem. With s-exprs that's even
easier.

One complicating factor that might be helped by the multiple levels of
understanding is creating a partial ordering of edits so that you have more
flexibility in merging. If the SCM understands the type of transform you
are performing, there might be all sorts of ways to reorder changes. You
could even create "action macros" for applying a common transform to large
numbers of functions.

I suspect that you might still use files to represent your current state.
The real benefit comes from the SCM system understanding the code and the
context of changes.