On 8/2/12 10:04 AM, Brian Marick wrote:
On Aug 2, 2012, at 8:50 AM, Meikel Brandmeyer (kotarak) wrote:

You have to put quite a bit of thought in to get things right.
Which raises the question: *is* concurrency actually a strong selling point for
functional languages?

Sane defaults are a selling point for functional languages. _ Java Concurrency in Practice_ repeatedly talks about how immutability in many cases will make your concurrency problems simpler and more approachable. As Meikel says, things will still require thought, but it will require less thought than if you are dealing with mutable state flying around everywhere. :) As an aside, I think "unpure" languages like Clojure are really the best of both worlds. You start out with a sane default but it allows you to deal with state in a uniform way when you need to and allows you to drop down to mutable state if performance requires it.

BTW, I love the idea for the book and I think it will help a lot of programmers understand the FP paradigm shift from mutable OO.

-Ben