On 7 Aug 2012, at 08:21, Roberto Mannai <roberm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1. The piano composition is reminescent of some Gurdjieff/De Hartmann music.

The piano piece was composed by Erik Satie - I simply played my own
interpretation of the timings on the monome. Sadly, you can't see that part on
the video, but I was standing up and playing to the audience at that point. The
source is part of the Overtone examples:

https://github.com/overtone/overtone/blob/master/src/overtone/examples/monome/satie.clj

> I liked too the live coding gestures, where I track down your Emacs key
> bindings and your flowing among buffers. BTW, how did you update the values
> of that "blue numerical sliders"? By mouse?

Aha! You're the first person to spot that! It's me essentially creating a new
physical interface on-the-fly using my MIDI controller. Really, that's the part
I'm most proud of - it involves quite an intimate relationship between Emacs
Lisp and Clojure. It involves the following steps:

* Emacs creates an overlay for the new value to be "controlled"
* Emacs tells Clojure/Overtone to wait for the next MIDI control event, and to
then continue to send new events for that specific controller back to Emacs
* On new controller events, Emacs finds the specific form that the "controlled"
value resides in, gets updates the value with the new incoming value from
Overtone, and then finds the surrounding form and sends it back to Overtone to
be evaluated.
* Awesomeness ensues!

It'll soon be part of Emacs Live once I've ironed out the last few wrinkles so
everyone can easily control Emacs/Clojure with a MIDI controller.

Sam

---
http://sam.aaron.name