> Your comparison of Clojure's internal code is also slightly unfair. Afaik,
> clojure-py is based on the Clojurescript codebase.

This seems to be a common misconception (and I'm not exactly sure why).
Clojure-py is a complete "from scratch" re-implementation of Clojure in
Python. It's more akin to clojure-clr than anything else. And I think
that's why some people love using it. It's clojure for people who aren't
comfortable with the JVM, it's a good way to play around with Clojure
before figuring out how to use lein and install java. And it helps that
clojure-py is a 10KB download.

I'm going to stop here and say that I didn't mean to put out that
clojure-py is the "end all be all implementation" of clojure. It's a
experiment more than anything else, it's an attempt to see what clojure
could look like on a VM designed to run dynamic languages.

As for my day-to-day work, no I don't reach for clojure-py. Lein is an
awesome tool, and I love working with it.

I do think that there is a place for a
low-footprint-close-to-the-metal Clojure implementation. I'm not sure if
that's clojure-c, clojure-py, or something more akin to a native clojure
vm, but I'd love to someday see some way where I can throw a .clj file at
some interpreter/vm and it'll execute in < 3sec on a slower box.

Timothy