The requirement noted in Piggieback's README on what's currently in Leiningen
master isn't related to nREPL (Piggieback itself doesn't depend on -beta9 and
should work just fine with -beta6); it's due to the Leiningen's new support for
customizing the handler or middleware used by nREPL endpoints started by `lein
repl`:

https://github.com/technomancy/leiningen/blob/master/sample.project.clj#L133

Without that, you'll have to configure and start an nREPL server as otherwise
described in the Piggieback README to include its middleware — which you can
then connect to through Leiningen (or any other nREPL client) if you like.

In short, you can use Piggieback with any sane rev of nREPL or Leiningen, but
you'll need what's in the latter's master in order to include Piggieback in the
REPL started via `lein repl`.

- Chas